Last updated: Aug 2023
We're thrilled that you've chosen to use LitLab.ai! LitLab.ai, a business alias of Koalluh, is the leading provider of reading software that aims to make reading more engaging, more personalized, and more “just right” for kids, regardless of their background or their current reading proficiency.
To be qualified to use our Platform, you must create an account and thereby consent to us during the account creation process that you are authorized to allow LitLab to access, collect, transmit, modify, disclose, display and store your data. This authorization is a consistent commitment you make to LitLab as a part of using our Platform.
Our Commitment to Privacy
- • Student Data is exclusively used for purposes sanctioned by the student's school, parent, or legal custodian.
- • We do not display third-party advertisements to students utilizing the Platform.
- • We strictly prohibit the use or disclosure of Student Data for targeted promotions or marketing.
- • We advocate for schools and parents to maintain direct control over Student Data.
- • We implement top-tier security measures and encryption technologies to safeguard Student Data.
- • We are committed to continuously disclosing our data policies and practices in a transparent and comprehensible manner to our users and the broader public.
- • We are committed to not retaining Student Data longer than necessary for supporting the Platform's functions or legitimate business requirements.
How We Collect Information
We collect information regarding students and educators in various ways as follows:
- • When an educator creates an account, LitLab collects details such as name, email address, password, occupation, country, and address information about the school.
- • Educators can invite students to join a classroom or a session on the Platform. Students submit their name as well as their interests in order to generate stories and other content, which might be viewable by other class members.
- • The majority of information is collected during sign-up. Some information is collected automatically via third-party verification authentication services (for example, Google OAuth and Clever), from which LitLab receives personal details.
- • LitLab also passively collects information about how our Platform is used, such as access times, duration, content viewed, and user activities.
- • We also collect device-related information such as device and browser type, operating system, IP address, referral URL, and a unique identifier.
- • We identify our site visitors using cookies, pixel tags, or other similar technologies.
- • LitLab avoids collecting sensitive details from students, such as biometric data, free or reduced lunch eligibility, health, or financial data.
How we Restrict Information Collection
We value students' and educators' privacy, and have therefore imposed the following restrictions and procedures to limit the data we collect from users:
- • Students can use altnerate profile names that conceal their identity when sharing stories or other information within LitLab
- • Educators have the right to access, correct, download, or delete any of their personal information collected by LitLab. To exercise these rights, educators can contact LitLab directly.
- • We do not knowingly retain student data beyond the time required to support the school's educational purpose, unless approved by the school, educator, or a parent or legal guardian.
- • Educators and schools may submit requests for data deletion. LitLab will erase or anonymize student data within sixty (60) days of receiving a request for deletion from a school or after a period of inactivity according to LitLab's standard data retention schedule.
How We Use Gathered Information
We exclusively use Student Data and other information to offer our services and to maintain, enhance, and develop the Platform. Specifically, the collected information may be used as follows:
- • To enable educators to evaluate students' work, observe students' performance and progress, design lessons, and further aid in their students' education.
- • To allow parents and guardians to review their children's work and monitor their children's performance and progress.
- • To provide feedback and assistance to students related to their educational progress.
- • To permit students to access information shared with them by their educators.
- • To let students monitor their own progress.
- • To enable students to build book collections.
- • To provide students the opportunity to maintain a portfolio of their work.
- • To personalize learning experiences for students, including generating tailored learning suggestions and proposing other assignments, educational content, or activites.
- • To customize user experiences. comprehending how our Platform is accessed and used, and its performance, so we can enhance its design and functionality.
- • To perform analysis on aggregate data that doesn't identify any individual user.
- • To supply educators with various types of reports, like reports detailing the performance and progress of a specific classroom or student.
- • To collect feedback on the Platform and how we can improve it.
- • To diagnose issues, troubleshoot problems, and provide maintenance and support.
- • We may use educator, parent, or legal guardian information to communicate with those individuals, including sending them marketing communications consistent with their selections and preferences. We do not send marketing communications to students.
Information Disclosure LitLab might occasionally share information with reliable third-party service providers that provide services for or on behalf of LitLab. Such services could include website hosting and customer support services.
LitLab does not utilize, reveal, sell, or rent Student Data to third parties for targeted advertising, marketing, or any commercial purposes. If you receive communication from one of these types of entities, it did not originate from LitLab.
Securing your data and information is critical to us, and safeguarding Student Data is our highest priority. Thus, in our efforts to keep user information secure, we implement the following measures:
- • We use reasonable organizational, physical, technical, and administrative strategies aimed at maintaining the integrity and security of any personal information collected.
- • We user top-tier, industry-leading Secure Socket Layer (SSL) encryption technology to protect user data.
- • Access to Student Data is strictly limited to LitLab employees and contractors who need it to carry out their work responsibilities. Employees or contractors may face disciplinary action, including termination or cancelling of their contracts with possible legal action, if they fail to uphold LitLab's privacy and confidentiality standards.
- • While we strive to provide the best possible security, no system can be completely foolproof. If personal information under LitLab's control is compromised due to a security breach, we will take reasonable steps to investigate the situation and adhere to all relevant laws and regulations. In the event of a security incident that substantially affects the security or confidentiality of Student Data, we commit to promptly notifying the affected parties.
We commit to delete or de-identify Student Data within sixty (60) days of receiving a deletion request from a school. Even without a deletion request from a school, we may delete or de-identify Student Data following a period of inactivity in accordance with our standard data retention schedule.
Please note: We may not always be able to instantly or entirely delete all data in every case, such as information kept in technical support records, customer service records, backups, and other similar business records. We will not be obliged to delete any information which has been de-identified or disassociated with personal identifiers such that the remaining information cannot reasonably be used to identify a particular individual.
Our Platform links to Google and Clever for authentication services, and we may occasionally use integrations with Schoology, Canvas, SeeSaw, and other LMS and learning management providers. Educators will be given the option to allow LitLab to share information with these learning management providers where applicable.
Where any third parties are linked through our Platform, these third parties are expected to have their own privacy policies which users are encouraged to review thoroughly. We are not responsible for the privacy, information, or other practices of any third parties, including any third party operating any site or service to which the Platform links. The inclusion of a link on the Platform does not imply our endorsement of the linked site or service.
Our Compliance with Applicable Laws
When a user uses the LitLab Platform for an educational purpose, LitLab may access, collect or receive Student Data provided by the school, educator, student, student's parent or legal guardian. LitLab does not own or control this Student Data, which belongs to each user as appropriate.
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (“FERPA”).Student Data collected by Koallah may include personally identifiable information found in educational records that are subject to the federal law known as the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, or FERPA. Koallah may collect and process Student Data as a “School Official” as the term is defined by FERPA and its implementing regulations. We commit to working with schools to ensure mutual compliance with the FERPA regulations.
The Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (“COPPA”).We do not knowingly collect personal information from a child under age thirteen (13) unless a school has authorized us to collect such information on its behalf, and the collection of such information has a direct relationship to our operation of the Platform. When a school uses the Platform for educational purposes, we depend on the school to provide consent for LitLab to collect personal information from students that are under the age of thirteen (13) for educational purposes only, as limited by the federal Children's Online Privacy Protection Act, or COPPA. Upon written request, we provide schools the opportunity to review and delete any personal information collected about their students. If you are a parent or legal guardian and you have questions about your child's use of the Platform, please share your questions with your child's school, or, you may reach out to us with the contact information provided below.
The California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) (California residents only). When LitLab provides the Platform to schools as a “School Official” as that term is defined in the California Consumer Privacy Act (or the “CCPA”), we only gather, retain, utilize, and disclose Student Data for the purpose of providing the Platform, and for no other commercial purpose. If you have further questions or if would like to exercise your rights as a California resident, please contact your school or us by using the contact information below.
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (“FERPA”). Student Data collected by Koallah may include personally identifiable information found in educational records that are subject to the federal law known as the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, or FERPA. Koallah may collect and process Student Data as a “School Official” as the term is defined by FERPA and its implementing regulations. We commit to working with schools to ensure mutual compliance with the FERPA regulations.
For questions or concerns related to privacy, we can be contacted by email at email@example.com, or by mail at:
Koalluh - Attn: Privacy
1441 Woodmont Lane NW #824
Atlanta, Georgia 30318-2866